So since Carter was so content and almost asleep while I was taking pictures of him in his miracle blanket, I decided I couldn't miss the opportunity to take pictures of his port cover. I know, you're probably very curious what exactly a port cover is and needless to say what a port is. The port is the end of Carter's ng tube. It is where we attach the syringe to allow the fomrula to enter the tube which eventually leads into his stomach. Sorry if that was too much information.
As you can see, the ports are plastic and the pink adapter is made out of hard plastic. We try very hard to keep it out from underneath Carter, but sometimes it just winds up there due to his more mobile and wiggly state. If this happens, it is very uncomfortable, as you can imagine, and not only leads to a very unhappy baby. And it will often leave a very nasty red and/or bruised indentation. So after wracking my brain for something that would make it less painful and uncomfortable, I thought a padded cover would be ideal. (Note: I'm not a complete optimist, I knew there wasn't a way to make it totally comofrortable.) The only problem is, I do not sew. Not one bit. It's sad, I know. Ok, moving on. Since, I do not sew, I decided to enlist the help of Jeff's secretary, Jennifer, who just happens to be a seamstress on the side.
This is what she came up with. It is a a little padded pouch that is slightly bigger than the ports with velcro to keep it closed. It's ingenious. And I love it. Infact, everyone does, even Carter's speech therapist.
It really does keep Carter's back from getting nasty indentations and it doesn't seem to be as uncomfortable for him if he does wind up on top of it.
And while I absolutely love all the church office ladies for loving my two boys and for all they do for the church, I've have to take a moment to single Jennifer out and thank her for her willingness to help me. She works two jobs and when I asked, she did not hesitate to say yes. I spoke with her on a Friday afternoon about what I was thinking, she took a quick measurement, and that was it. On Monday morning, she came to work with not one, but two covers that she made espeically for Carter. She knew exactly what I was I thinking in this crazy, mixed up brain of mine. I know I'm still hormonal, but I wanted to cry I was so excited. So, thank you Jennifer for your kind, willing heart and for, as simple as it is, for making our lives just a little easier. We love you!
I had to post his picture. Look at Carter's eyes. The eyes say it all. Can you hear them? I can. They are saying, "Mom, I'm tired. Can we please be done? I want to go to sleep."
No comments:
Post a Comment