If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, check out the picture above. Yes, that's right, no tube. No, it wasn't doctor's orders or mine for that matter. It was Carter's. He pulled the tube out on his own. I'm really not sure how he managed to do it, especially with the mile of tape I kept on there, but he did. I guess he just wanted it out. I can't blame him. I'm sure it was annoying and frustrating beyond belief.
It may surprise some of you, who I haven't talked to personally, that I'm not up and running to the nearest hospital to get another tube dropped down, but truth be told, the tube has become the backup the past couple weeks. I know, I should have said something sooner, but whenever I sat down to write it out, I just couldn't. I guess, I was afraid. For some reason, it was easier to tell people, who asked, how it was going than to actually publish it. This seemed more permanent.
So, here's the truth. Carter has done an amazing job drinking from the bottle the past couple of weeks. He has not needed the feeding tube for a little over two weeks. Although he still cannot drink from a bottle on his own and does require cheek and chin support to drink it, he isn't relying on the tube, which is a huge praise.
For, now we are going to take it one day at a time and see how life without the feeding tube goes. I'll call the doctor and let her know, but I highly doubt she'll want to drop another tube down unless it becomes absolutely necessary. Carter still has a long road ahead of him, before he totally "out of the woods," but, right now, we rejoice and give God all the glory and praise for bringing him this far. Like I said earlier, His ways are not always ours, but I know that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28). And that is where I place my hope.




8 comments:
I am so excited I could almost pop!!! He was beautiful with the tube, but words cannot describe how beautiful he is now. I love you baby Carter and your entire family!!!! And yes, I am crying and must get back to work :)
I think Carter looks like Pops, ie Bill, ie Lauren's dad.
Yay! So happy for you guys!! Just read your post about bottles, too. We're using Avent for Allison because we had so many from Victoria. Thankfully she takes them!
Wonderful news! We will continue to pray for all of you!
So very excited and happy for you guys! Praising the Lord right alongside you!
So excited for you! But will definitely continue lifting your family up.
So happy that he's taking to the bottle! Eli prefers the Avent bottles as well...he thinks Carter has good taste! We'll continue to pray for your sweet family!
PRAISE GOD!
Post a Comment