5.04.2010

Summer, already?

Summer for the student ministry is here.  At least in my book.  I know the always-crazy-busy-summer is here when the first car wash rolls around.  This year it was May 1st.  Once the car wash happens, there is no stopping until school starts.  I take that back, there really is no slowing down in student ministry.  But that is the beauty of it. 


Back to the car wash.  The weather was absolutely beautiful, which made for a very successful car wash.  When the weather is warm and the sun is out, everyone wants their car washed.  There was a constant stream of cars all days, which meant our students stayed busy.  They worked really hard and did not complain one bit.  Especially this lovely lady.  She is one hard worker and always has that beautiful smile on her face.  Seriously.  I love her and that gorgeous smile.


Aiden loves to think of himself as one of the students and was so excited to go help wash cars.  But for some reason, when we arrived he got very shy and did not want to leave my side.  That is until he found his friend.


Meet Jennifer, Aiden's friend.  Jennifer is acutally one our interns this summer  She is also a sweet friend of mine and she and Aiden have taken to each other.  I'm not sure who loves the other more.  Anyways, Aiden would not move, that is until he saw Jennifer.  He took her finger and they went to go wash some cars. 


At least, that was the plan.  On the way to to the cars, Aiden got distracted.  He found the buckets of soap and never made it to a single car.  At least, from what I could tell.  He had fun just playing in the suds.


And moving one soap and water filled sponge from one bucket to another. 


And trying to see how far he could lean in the bucket without falling in.  I was told he even tasted the soap at one point.  Nasty.  I know.  But sometimes, boys will be boys.  Speaking of boys, Carter had fun at the car wash, too.   While I was busy playing photographer, my mom came and sat with Carter in the shade.  He enjoyed just relaxing with her and watching all the people.  I think he has inherited my people watching gene.  He is happy as a little clam as long as he can see all that is happening around him.   


One of the perks of the car wash is getting my car washed.  Helping out gets me a clean car, at least clean on the outside.  I use the term "helping out" loosely because I'm not sure how much help I was, other than taking a few pictures and doing a bit of supervising.  And by supervising, I mean socializing.  


These two beautiful ladies did a fabulous job washing my car.  Trust me.  I inspected their hard work.  Don't worry ladies, I'm only kidding.   But aren't those two of the sweetest faces around?  Not only are they both beautiful, but they they both have beautiful spirits and I know God is going to use them to great things and spread the Good News.  I just know it.  Ok, I'm dirgressing.  Again.  Sometimes, I just can't help it.


Even though Aiden was sad that the car wash was over, I think the rest of us were happy to go home to our air conditioned  houses and take showers.  But it was all totally worth it, because A TON of money was raised to help our students go to mission camps this summer.  So, a huge thank you to all who helped wash cars, who brought their cars in to be washed, and who entertained my boys.  You are doing a great deed in helping our students learn more about Christ and what it means not only to love Him, but to be like Him and serve others.  So, as much as I joke about not being able to breathe due to the craziness of the summer schedule, I am excited to see what God is going to do in the lives of our students.  Summertime is an awesome time in student ministry and I am thrilled to be apart of it.  Bring on the craziness.  I'm ready!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

love it. as always.