2.26.2010

Honesty is Hard



People are always asking how Carter is doing.  "Is he drinking more?", "Is he gaining weight?",  "What is his diagnosis?", and  "What do the doctors think?"   The questions do not offend or bother me at all. In fact, they are welcomed and strangely enough the questions do not get old.  It makes me feel loved and cared for to know people are genuinely concerned about how our little guy is doing, even if they still have to ask week after week because there seems to be little improvement.  I will gladly answer questions and talk about Carter all day.  It is easy for me to be open and honest regarding him and I probably give more details than the average person might want to know.  I equate it to being some form of therapy for me.  It is a way for me to verbalize and process what I hear from doctors day in and day out.  It helps me sort it out. 




Then every so often, some kind person has the audacity to ask me how I'm doing.  That is when the openness stops.  You mean, people actually want to know how I am dealing and coping with it all?   In all reality, it is hard for me to be honest about my feelings.  It always has been. I do not like or want to be vulnerable or weak.  I prefer to put on a happy face and act like everything is great even when it may not be.  I want to come across like I have my act together.  I want to be strong and not let anything derail me.  So, when I'm asked how I'm doing, I smile and say, "I'm good." Or, if I'm feeling brave, I say, "I'm hanging in there."  And if I'm feeling bold, I say, "I'm taking it one day at a time and sometimes one hour at a time."  I know, it's vague and truth be told probably not very honest.  But like I said, vulnerability is hard for me. 


So, I've decided that it is time for me to be honest.  To try and break down the walls that I have put up.  To let all 4 readers know how the momma is handling our high needs baby. 



I know that God has called me and our family into this season.  I do not know why and I may never know why.  But, I know this is what God has chosen for me at this very point in my life.  That being said, it has been hard.  Very hard.  Everyone told me throughout my pregnancy with Carter that the second one was always easier.  And that is what I came to expect.  They lied.


For a long time it was very hard for me to adjust and come to grips with the reality of the situation.  I had a child who required special care and medical attention.  I was also trying to recover from having a baby and surgery. Needless to say I was more exhausted than words can describe and there were countless tears shed. 


At my worst, I felt completely helpless.  I am the mother of this tiny baby who is not gaining weight, who will not eat, and is very unhappy.  I felt as if I was failing.  Everything that I could tangibly do was not working.  I could not provide his nourishment needed to sustain him. I could not comfort him.  And I could not fix him.  I did not know what was wrong or what to do about it.  They labeled him failure to thrive at 3 weeks old.  And I am here to tell you that "failure to thrive" is a horrible, horrible term.  In my mind, it translated, "Mom, you are a failure."  I know that is a lie.  But, it is what I heard and understood to be truth.  Because of this, I have struggled with fear and anxiety.  I have also struggled with my capability of being a mother.  And due to Carter's situation, I felt as if I was neglecting Aiden.  At times, I have felt completely crippled by those emotions.  So, needless to say, the past 3 1/2 months have been very trying and hard. 



I know the truth of the gospel.  I know that God will not leave or forsake us.  I know that he is in control.  And that is where I have chosen to put my trust and hope.  I have to.  Or else I will fall apart and I will fail.  This does not mean I have it all together.  It also does not mean that I still do not struggle with fear and anxiety.  Because I do.  I'm terrified that Carter will end up back in the hospital.  I'm scared something else will go wrong.  But, I have to keep hoping.  I have to keep trusting.  I have to let God to lead and comfort me.


Reminding myself that God is the one in control is a daily occurrence, if not an hourly one. It is because of Him that I am able to care for Carter and Aiden with love and patience.  That I am able to tackle the overwhelming number of tests and doctors appointments without fear, even though there is much uncertainty. And it is Jesus who I give all the praise and glory to for every little success or improvement. 


11 comments:

Heather said...

Aiden and Carter are so blessed to have you as their Momma. You are doing awesome. I came across a totally inappropriate quote the other day that seems appropriate...

"Life sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way." - Axl Rose (Lead singer of Guns N Roses). Pretty much sums it up right now, eh?

Here's to easier roads and answers to all of our questions very soon!!!
Heather

James Chandler said...

I truly appreciate the honesty that you shared through your post. It seems as though anything I would say at this point would seem trite, or something you know yourself.

You and Jeff are in a very difficult situation and I don't know many who would go through this and not question the wisdom of God. I've not seen much of that in you two.

My experience in life has taught me that there is always a way to glorify God. It just doesn't seem that way during the trials.

I want you to know that we love you and would love to help in any way.

The Cox Family said...

I love that you were honest. I cannot imagine what you are going through and I can sympathize with your feelings of helplessness and feeling like a failure. You are doing an awesome job. I wish we still lived across the street from you so I could help. Miss u!

Robin At Lee said...

...and that is one of the bravest, coolest things I've ever read. This whole situation - for you, Carter, Aiden, Jeff - is so pregnant with blessings. Possibilities and purposes that we cannot see yet, but suspect they are there. Knowledge and experiences and strengths and wisdom that are forming, growing, and being knit together in the womb of your mind and the womb of your family - an experience that is being fearfully and wonderfully crafted by your Father.
It could be ironic to read your words in this entry and justapose them against your statement about you right next to them, "I am a daugher of the King..." Questions could easily pop up: 'Couldn't the king have better health care?', 'Is the king not paying attention to his daughter?', 'Did he throw her under a bus?', etc. But you know better, in your heart of hearts - and we read that and see it in your life, and we're with you - in this season and on this journey. Thanks for being brave... and being honest.
Old words - but good ones:
The Lord bless you and keep you.
The Lord make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you.
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace. Amen.
-Dick.

Gerry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gerry said...

Lauren,
I wish I could say that I chose the best daughter-in-law in the world but I did not choose. God gave me the best daughter-in-law in the world and I thank Him for that gift. I know Aiden and Carter will one day know how much their mother loves them but they will never know what she went through for them. Keep these "things", even the hard ones, in your heart and ponder on them. God's work is not dependent on our understanding it.
We love you.

Saturday, 27 February, 2010

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
you are a wonderful mother. Aiden and Carter are so lucky to have someone so strong (even when you don't feel it) as a mother. Your pictures are beautiful.

Love you lots!
-Mallaree

Nicolette Stephens said...

I just cried- A LOT. I can't pretend to know what you are going through, but I am so glad the God knows everything you have and will go through. When I first started reading about how people were asking about Carter my first thought- honestly, was- How is Lauren doing? I am so glad that there are people of faith surrounding you and lifting you up and walking with you.

I am also glad that you trusted God to share your heart- it has blessed me this morning and caused me to give glory to God. You and Jeff and the boys are constantly in my prayers. May he strengthen your back and give you Grace at the same time. Love you lovely lady!

Gloria said...

Lauren,
I like Granny am crying right now after reading this. And I really don't know what to say....other than to tell you how much I love you and how proud I am of you and the way that you have handled this journey that God has sent you on. I truly thank Him for bringing you and Jeff together.

Ginny said...

2 Corinthians 1:3-7 came to mind as I read your post. Though it's hard to see right now, I have faith that the Lord is working this for your good (also for Carter's, Aiden's, and Jeff's good) and for His glory.

This trial is part of your testimony already...I'm encouraged and blessed by what God is teaching you, even though I know it's been incredibly difficult. I'm claiming the verses above for you and Jeff; that one day you'll be able to comfort others going through the same thing because you've been through similar circumstances. All glory to God!

Thanks for being transparent and for sharing your heart. I'm praying for you all!

Lauren said...

wow. reading that blog just left me speechless. thanks for your honesty lauren. you are a true inspiration to me. i think about you and your family all the time. thank you so much for not holding back and sharing this with us. love you!