2.21.2010

Are you curious?

I've had several people ask me lately why I haven't had a post updating Carter's progress.  I know many of you, at least I hope there are many of you who actually read this thing, are curious about how our little guy is doing.  There is an answer for the lack of posts on Carter.  The reason is...are you ready for it?...because there really hasn't been any news to report. Don't worry.  I'm going to update you on what exactly is going on and where he currently stands, well he doesn't really stand, but you know what I mean. 


Carter is three months old and he probably weighs somewhere in the 12 pound range.  Crazy. I know.  It's been a long three months, but it also seems like its been a fast three months.  He is still not drinking from a bottle.  At best he will take between 1-2 ounces from the bottle and the other 4-5 from the feeding tube.  So, to answer your question, yes he still has his feeding tube.  He will continue to have a feeding tube until he can take all of his feedings by bottle.



We are still taking him to the doctor's anywhere between one and four times a week.  Our little guy has seen a gi, ent, cardiologist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, and sometime this summer will see a geneticist.  Seriously, let's not talk about copays.  I'm in denial.  He's been seen by so many doctors because no one can really figure out what his "issue" is and why he can't or won't drink from a bottle.  What we do know is that he has severe reflux.  That is about it.  He is taking medicine for his reflux, so it is being managed.  There is no curing reflux all we can do is pray that he will grow out of it. 



The ent did clip his tongue, but we have not seen any improvement from that procedure.  At least now we know.  I am glad that he had it clipped, because now we will not have to worry about it down the road.  (I'm still fighting to have Aiden's clipped.)  He also had a swallow study done last week at the main hospital.  The results from that were great, meaning he has no issues swallowing and that no fluid enters his lungs while he is drinking from a bottle.




As for getting Carter to drink from a bottle, he's beginning the process of working with a speech therapist. He started off in occupational therapy, but it wasn't the best fit for him, so he's been switched over to speech therapy.  It's wierd, I know.  A three month old in speech therapy, but aparently, speech therapists have more specialized training in working with babies with sucking and swallowing issues.  We just finished the evaluation process for speech therapy, so starting next week he'll be going twice a week.  His therapists will work with him to take more of his feedings from the bottle.  Once he is consistently taking a certain percentage from the bottle, we'll begin weaning him from the tube. 


That pretty much sums up where Carter is and I guess what the plan is for him, if there is really is such a thing.  We're just plugging away, taking it one day at a time and putting our trust and hope in our Lord and Savior.  He is a good God and He is in control, even over this situation. 




1 comment:

Mark, Kristin, and Eli said...

Thanks for taking the time to write an update. We were wondering how things were going with Carter. We'll be praying for him to like eating from his bottles!