Well, here we are again. At the hospital with Carter. Am I surprised? Not, exactly. My mommy's instinct knew that he wasn't doing well, but I was praying hard that we could hold off the inevitable until after Christmas. So, yes, I was very disappointed and sad when the pediatrician came back into the office on Friday after speaking with Carter's GI on the phone and said that Carter would need to be readmitted to the hosptial that day. I was heartbroken and I cried. Carter was being sent to the hosptial, again, for losing weight, again. On Friday, he was 7 lbs 2 oz, which is only 2 oz above his birth weight, and at 5 1/2 weeks old, that isn't good.
So, this is where we have been since Friday evening.
After getting set-up in our shared room, Carter was given the opportunity to prove himself, so to speak, to eat 3 ounces from the bottle for two feedings. He only took about 1 to 1 1/2 ounce both times, so a feeding tube was inserted. Now, each feeding, we offer the bottle and then whatever he does not eat is admisistered through the feeding tube. As of right now, he is not eating from the bottle. He will make drink a half ounce before we have to move to the tube.
What exactly is going on, you ask? Good question. We still are not 100% sure. It is more of a process of elimination game. The thought process is still that Carter has severe reflux and a milk protien allergy. It could take up to 2 weeks before we see significant improvement, after switching his medication and formula. So, it is not surprising that he is still experiencing pain when eating and refusing to eat from the bottle.
The plan, as we know it now, is to continue to monitor his feedings from the bottle and the tube to make sure he is tolerating the feedings and able to keep them down. He is being fed 3 ounces every 3 hours. He will be weighed tonight, so any increase in his weight will be a good sign.
The doctors are looking at Monday or Tuesday for a discharge date, but more likely Tuesday as there will be alot to coordinate tomorrow for us to go home. Carter will go home with the feeding tube, but at this point we are not sure how long he will need the feeding tube. Jeff and I both will need to be trained in how to work the the feeding tube and pump, but I'm not sure if that will happen before we leave the hospital or if that happens when home health comes to the house. Carter is also going to be looked at by the cardiologist and get an ultrasound of his heart on Monday. The GI found a heart murmur at his visit the other day, so while we are here they want to go ahead and get it looked at to determine what kind of murmur it is and whether or not it is affecting his eating.
So, that is where we stand now. Just camped out in the hospital room and praying our precious Carter begins to put on weight and show improvement soon. We are definitely anxious to get home, especially with Christmas just a few days ahead, but are trying to be patient and not rush the doctors or this process. Momma just wants her babies back under one roof, especially for Christmas.
Thank you all for your prayers. They are such a comfort and a blessing to us during this time.
8 comments:
We are praying for you guys! Get better Carter!
I'm so sorry you guys are having to go through this. Praying for all of you!
I just want you to know Lauren that I am keeping you in my prayers and heart constantly. Although I have never walked in your shoes, I do know how hard it is when your child is sick. Dads tend to hurt too because they can't do anything. I continue to claim a miracle for Carter and I know one will come. I just pray God will give you the patience and strength to learn what you need to for your little guy. Aidan certainly seems very happy and content so hopefully that will ease your heart some. We love you.
Just saw my comment is listed as anonymous. I want to be known so you will be aware of all the prayer warriors lifting you up. I have even enlisted my facebook friends. Love you Lauren. Robin
praying,praying,praying,we love you all!
I read your blog- as I often do- and this came to mind- I love you guys and am praying that you will be tested well in this trial. I hope it is an encouragement to you. Praise be to God in all circumstances.
1 Peter 1:3-7
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Thank-you so much for taking the time to update all of us on what's going on with Carter. My heart hurts for you as a mommy, having to see your little guy go through all of this. Mark and I are continuing to pray for all of you constantly, that God will heal your sweet baby and allow for your return home. Looking forward to hearing good news SOON!
Jeff and Lauren,
We are so sorry you are going through this with Carter. We are praying for you each and would like to help in any way...any last minute Christmas gifts we can pick up for you? Please let us know how we can help.
Love to each of you.
Post a Comment