It has been a crazy couple weeks around here. I might fill you in on all the details in another post, or I may not. You probably don't care for all the gory details, so just know my lack of posting is due primarily to the craziness around here, which sent me straight into survival mode.
The last time I spoke, uh...typed, to you it was Aiden's third birthday. Let me tell you, it was such a fun time for everyone. I promise I'll fill you in on all the details and loot later, but today I want to introduce you to Aiden's house.
Meet Aiden's house.
I intended it to be called a fort, because a fort just seems more boyish, but alas Aiden has taken to calling it his house. And really, who is going to correct him? It does have a door and windows, after all.
The house was designed and made by Jeff's awesome secretary, Jennifer. I've raved about this awesome lady before, when she made the port covers for Carter's feeding tube. So, when I approached her about making this fort for Aiden's bunk bed, I knew she would not disappoint. She took my vague ideas and turned it into a reality.
To all my creative sewing friends out there, here are the details if you are interested. From what I understand about sewing, which is next to nothing, it is constructed like a bed skirt it is just three sided with the back wall of the bed being used as the fourth wall of the "house." It has a door and two windows, all of which have ties, so they can be opened or closed. Each "wall" also has several sets of blue ties so the walls can roll up and the house can be put away, so to speak. Since Aiden is a boy and it was meant to be a fort, Jennifer kept it pretty basic, but for girls you could really go all out with flower boxes and curtains. The ideas are endless.
I knew Aiden would love this gift and was so excited to give it to him. My intention was to give it to him as a birthday present, but the day of his birthday and the days following were a whirlwind, so he ended up getting it as a surprise gift instead of a birthday gift. I don't think it matters to him. He is three after all.
I cannot rave about this house enough. It has already provided many hours of fun for Aiden. Not to mention he is also learning the joy of hospitality as he invites everyone in to his house to read and play.
It has become Aiden's favorite reading spot as evidenced by the pile of books that he always keeps in his bed. We even equipped his house with a lantern to make it more "fortish" and to provide enough light for him to read in there. To answer your question, no Aiden cannot actually read, but he enjoys just looking at the books and making up stories to the pictures. It provides him with a quiet activity to wind down for bedtime and makes the transition to sleep a little smoother.
Oh, and one more perk to this house. It is dark. So dark, you have to search for Aiden when you go into check on him. This is actually helping him sleep better during naps and he is not waking up as early in the morning. So it is good for the momma and daddy, too!
THANK YOU Jennifer. Thank you for taking your time to create a special gift for Aiden. We love you and appreciate all you do for our family.
1 comment:
I think these are so cool. I have seen them all over the internet. If John and I have children we will definitely have something like this! So excited for you guys and another year of life with Aiden!
Post a Comment