1.30.2010

Snow Day

Today it’s predicted that our area will get between 8-13 inches of snow. I've even heard some reports that it could be more. It has been a long time since we have seen snow like this. I have to be honest though, I'm not the biggest fan of snow. I don't get all giddy and childlike at the thought of snow, especially snow that is supposed to last all day. Maybe it’s because I don't have the privilege of looking forward to school or work being cancelled. And if I'm really honest, it might have something to do with the fact it messes up my plans for the day and/or days to follow.


But, I have to say, as much as I'm not a huge fan; I love the excitement and joy that snowfall produces in Aiden (and Jeff). It's that pure joy where Aiden's eyes just light up. And because I love watching Aiden get excited and have fun, I get excited about the snow.

So, this morning when I got up and looked outsid and realized it actually was snowing (and it didn't look like it was stopping anytime soon for that matter) I got just a little giddy inside and couldn't wait for Aiden to wake up and take his first look at the fresh snow. He was through the roof with excitement. When asked what was happening outside, he said "little snows are coming down". I tried to correct him, but he insisted that it was little snows not snowflakes. That's a 2 year old for you.


After some breakfast and mom arrived, we all bundled up and ventured out into the snow. Aiden really wanted to build a frosty with a "corn cob nose". (Yes, I know it’s a pipe, but I wasn't going to correct him, it was just too darn cute.) Sadly, the snow was too powdery for a frosty. But Aiden learned how to make a snow angel, took some rides on the sled, and just had fun knocking the snow off of things. Who needs a frosty, anyways? Jeff and my mom spent the majority of the time outside. Someone had to take one for the team and keep an eye on the babe. I gladly stepped up to the plate, while the others enjoyed the snow. I did go out with the umbrella in one hand and the camera in the other. I wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to capture the fun.





After Aiden's cheeks started to look like stoplights, everyone unbundled and enjoyed some hot chocolate. Hot chocolate is a must on a snow day.

The snow is supposed to continue to fall all day and into the night, so hopefully we'll be able to make that frosty at some point. Until then we are staying warm and watching frosty on tv. I wonder how much snow we will get. From the looks of it, the weathermen may actually have gotten the prediction right on this snowstorm.

1 comment:

Jeff Mingee said...

I love this blog. Favorite post yet! Jeff.