12.12.2007

Christmas is Upon Us

This is probably the busiest seasons of the year for us, as I am sure it is for most people. I have been very busy decorating the house, buying and wrapping presents, baking goodies, attending church events, and the endless amounts of Christmas parties. I have to say that I love every bit of season, right down to the Christmas lights and music, but I have a tendency to get stressed out and bogged down over what is next on the Calender and what needs to be crossed of the endless list next. I feel as if the "things" of the season take more priority over the reason for the Christmas season. I know I have let worldly things stuff my calendar and I have not spent near enough time rejoicing and giving thanks to God for giving us his son to be our Savior. The ladies over at GirlTalk have done a great job reminding me that although all of the parties, lights, and presents are a gift from God and are to be enjoyed, I need to slow down and take time from my crazy day to give thanks to our God and Father.


Recently, I have spent a lot of time reflecting on the Mary's words "Behold, I am the servant to the Lord; let it be according to your word." (Luke 1:38) Mary says these words after the angel Gabriel approaches her and tells her that she will bear a son and he will be the son of God. This response really struck me and has humbled me this year. To think about what was probably going on in her head when the angel came to her and told her that she was going to have a child. I know she must have been afraid, not only of what others would think of an unwed mother, but how it was going to drastically change her life. But, yet, her response to the angel was "I am the servant to the Lord." She accepted this amazing gift from God, a gift we often take for granted, with such humility and grace, and yet with such boldness. I pray that this Christmas season and in the coming year, I will be constantly reminded of Mary's humility and boldness towards God, and that I would strive to have that same spirit when spending time with God.


I would encourage you all to take time our of your busy day to sit down and really reflect on the Christmas story and give thanks to God for his wonderful and beautiful gift to us. For it is written, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6)

No comments: